Events that happened in May - Can you name the year?
Will and Guy have a surprise - there are no jokes
on this page, just a challenge to you; can you name that year?
All these 40 events happened in May - But in which year?
The values in brackets is the leeway that
I give you.
For example: The Russo (Russian) - Japanese War starts. (10 years)
Exact answer: 1904, leeway 1894-1914.
- First 'Penny Black'
stamp issued. (20 Years)
- Citizen Cane Premiers.
- King Feisal II becomes king of Iraq On the same day, King Hussein I, installed as king of Jordan. (10 Years)
- Lord Byron follows in the wake of Leander and swims the mile across the Hellespont. Leander was besotted with a girl called Hero. (30 Years)
- Al Capone sent to Atlanta Penitentiary. (5 Years)
- Olympic Games Opens in Stockholm. (5 Years)
- Brooklyn Dodgers move to Los Angeles. (10 Years)
- Amy Johnson takes off from Croydon in her Gypsy Moth
She landed in Darwin Australia on 24th May. (10 Years)
- Linus Yale patents the Yale lock. (25 Years)
- Elizabeth Taylor's
first marriage to Conrad Hilton. (5 Years)
- Chunnel Tunnel opens joining England
and France. (5 Years)
- George Eastman patents 'Kodak box camera'. (20 Years)
- England lowers age of women voters from 30 to 21. (7 Years)
- Robert Thompson patents rubber tyre. (25 Years)
first launderette opens in Queensway London. (10 Years)
- Indian Mutiny begins with revolting Sepoys in Delhi. (25 Years)
- First regular TV broadcast by RCA and NBC - Felix the cat. (7 Years)
- Mick Jagger
marries Bianca. (5 Years)
- Royal Flying Corp. (Later the Royal Air Force) formed. (10 Years)
- Paraguay gains independence from Spain. (50 Years)
- Mickey Mouse made his first appearance in 'Crazy Plane'
- Napoleon was declared Emperor of France. (25 Years)
- The saxophone is patented by Adolphe Sax. (20 Years)
- Omar Khayyám, Persian poet born. (200 Years)
- Post Office authorizes use of
postcards. (15 Years)
- Krakatoa eruption begins. (20 Years)
- New Zealand became a British colony. (30 Years)
- Humphrey Bogart marries Lauren Bacall. (6 Years)
- Dr Washington Sheffield invents toothpaste
tube. (20 Years)
- Microsoft launches Windows 3.0. (5 Years)
- Captain William Kidd is hanged in London after being convicted of piracy. (75 Years)
- Bank robbers Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow are killed in
a police ambush in Louisiana. (5 Years)
- John Wesley has a religious experience which causes him to found the Methodist Church. (50 Years)
- Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) KOs Sonny Liston in first round and
takes heavyweight boxing title. (5 Years)
- Bahrain adopts its First Constitution following independence from British protectorate. (10 Years)
- Tsar Peter the Great founds the city of Saint Petersburg. (75
- Samuel Morse completes first telegraph line of code. (20 Years)
- Jomo Kenyatta becomes first PM of Kenya. (10 Years)
- Hoover Dam Colorado is completed. (Named after J Edgar Hoover). (10 Years)
- Albania is formed from the Ottoman empire. (20 Years)
Bonus question: Which date is 'May Day'
May's Distinctive Events
See other interesting events that happened in May back down
If you like this page then please share it with your friends
Try another month, and guess some more dates:
Name That Year • Jan •
• Special Day Events •
Special Day Today •