- 1578 William Harvey of England discovers blood circulation
- 1960 The first
weather satellite launched (Tiros 1)
- 1935 Sir Robert Alexander
Watson-Watt patents RADAR3
- 1896 Announcement that gold has been discovered in the Yukon
- 1968 Martin Luther King assassinated by James Earl Ray
- 1919 Eamon de Valera elected
President of the Irish Dail
- 1199 Richard the Lionheart, King of England. Killed in a battle in France aged 41
- 1933 Prohibition ends in America
- 1739 Dick Turpin executed in
England for horse rustling (Not for being a highwayman)
- 1920 Church disestablished in Wales. Church IN Wales formed.
- 1770 Capt James Cook discovers Botany Bay in Australia
1957 Egypt reopens Suez Canal for shipping
- 1955 Ruth Ellis shoots lover David Blakely (Last woman to be hanged in UK)
- 1960 Adolf Eichmann trial for war crimes begins in Israel
- 1961 Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space
- 1964 Sidney Poitier becomes the first black actor to win an Oscar for his role as Homer Smith in Lilies of the Field.
- 1931 Spain becomes republic. King Alfonso XIII abdicates.
Abraham Lincoln dies, assassinated by John Wilkes Booth
- 1912 The Titanic Sinks
- 1746 Bonnie Prince Charlie (The Young Pretender) defeated at Culloden.
- 1961 Bay of Pigs
invasion of Cuba
- 1956 Premium Bonds launched in UK
- 1480 Lucrezia Borgia born
- 1775 Paul Revere rides from Lexington to Concorde to warn Boston that the British were coming.
- 1956 Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly marry
- 1862 Louis Pasteur completes the first pasteurization test
- 1960 - Brasìlia becomes the capital of Brazil, taking over from Rio de Janeiro
- 1889 - Oklahoma land rush. Crazy scheme where first to stake a valid claim got the former Cherokee Territory
- 1897 - Lester '
President of Canada was born on this day
- 1898 - Spain declare war on America. (Later, Theodore Roosevelt led the Rough Riders to victory at
- 1953 - Watson and Crick publish their
discovery of DNA
- 1964 - Tanzania formed by merging Tanganyika and Zanzibar
- 1789 - Original Mutiny on the HMS Bounty (not 1935 film or 1962 remake)
- 1770 - Captain Cook
arrives at Botany Bay Australia
- 1993 - World Wide Web born. CERN makes WWW free to everyone.
Bonus Which date in April are these?
Day 1st April
If you like this page then please share it with your friends
Try another month, and guess some more dates:
Name That Year • Jan •
• Special Day Events •
Special Day Today •