Events that happened in April - Can you name the year?
Will and Guy have a surprise - there are no jokes
on this page, just a challenge to you; can you name that year?
All these 35 events happened in April -
But in which year?
The values in brackets is the leeway that
I give you.
Example: 1904 Russo (Russian) - Japanese War starts. (10 years)
Exact Answer 1904, leeway 1894-1914.
- William Harvey of England discovers blood circulation (40 years)
- The first weather satellite launched (Tiros 1) (5 years)
- Sir Robert Alexander
Watson-Watt patents RADAR3 (10 Years)
- Announcement that gold has been discovered in the Yukon (20 Years)
- Martin Luther King assassinated by James Earl Ray (5 Years)
- Eamon de Valera elected
President of the Irish Dail (20 Years)
- Richard the Lionheart, King of England. Killed in a battle in France aged 41 (50 Years)
- Prohibition ends in America (7 Years)
- Dick Turpin executed in
England for horse rustling (Not for being a highwayman) (100 Years)
- Church disestablished in Wales. Church IN Wales formed. (25 Years)
- Capt James Cook discovers Botany Bay in Australia (50 Years)
- Egypt reopens Suez Canal for shipping (5 Years)
- Ruth Ellis shoots lover David Blakely (Last woman to be hanged in UK) (5 Years)
- Adolf Eichmann trial for war crimes begins in Israel (10
- Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space ( 3 Years)
- Sidney Poitier becomes the first black actor to win an Oscar for his role as Homer Smith in Lilies of the Field. (8 Years)
- Spain becomes republic. King Alfonso XIII abdicates. (10 Years)
- Abraham Lincoln dies, assassinated by John Wilkes Booth (10 Years)
- The Titanic Sinks (5 Years)
- Bonnie Prince Charlie (The
Young Pretender) defeated at Culloden. (80 Years)
- Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba (5 Years)
- Premium Bonds launched in UK (10 Years)
- Lucrezia Borgia born ( 100 Years)
- Paul Revere
rides from Lexington to Concorde to warn Boston that the British were coming. (25 Years)
- Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly marry (7 Years)
- Louis Pasteur completes the first pasteurization test (25
- Brasìlia becomes the capital of Brazil, taking over from Rio de Janeiro (10 Years)
- Oklahoma land rush. Crazy scheme where first to stake a valid claim got the former Cherokee Territory
- Lester 'Mike'
Pearson former President of Canada was born on this day (20 Years)
- Spain declare war on America. (Later, Theodore Roosevelt led the Rough Riders to victory at Kettle
Hill) (25 Years)
- Watson and Crick publish their discovery of DNA (7 Years)
- Tanzania formed by merging Tanganyika and Zanzibar (15 Years)
- Original Mutiny on the HMS Bounty (not 1935 film
or 1962 remake) ( 50 Years)
- Captain Cook arrives at Botany Bay Australia (50 Years)
- World Wide Web born. CERN makes WWW free to everyone.
Bonus question: which date is All Fool's Day?
April Special Day Calendar
See other interesting events that happened in April back down
If you like this page then please share it with your friends
Try another month, and guess some more dates:
Name That Year • Jan •
• Special Day Events •
Special Day Today •