Will and Guy's Collection of Cool Foreign Words
The English are notoriously bad at learning foreign languages, this is what
they do instead - create funny phrases.
These funnies were spotted in magazine competition; competitors were
asked to change one letter in a foreign phrases and then redefine the
- Harley-Vous Francais? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?
- Haste Cuisine - French fast food.
- Posh Mortem - Aristocratic deaths.
- Felix Navidad - My cat has a boat.
- Merci rien- Thanks for nothing.
- Quip pro quo - A very fast reply.
- Veni, Vidi, Vice - I came, I saw, I was naughty.
- Ich liebe rich - I'd love to have lots of money.
- Amicus Puriae - A platonic friend.
- Respondez s'il vous plaid - Only come to the party in a kilt.
- Parlez-vous Francais - Do you speak French? (Harley as in
- Haute Cuisine - Translates from the French
literally as "high cooking" it refers to quality cooking in good restaurants
- Post Mortem - Latin for autopsy - to examine a
body after death
- Feliz Navidad - Happy Christmas to Spanish
- Merci bien - Thank you in French - "rien" the French for nothing
- Quid pro quo - From the Latin "something for something" - an equal exchange
of goods or services
- Vene, Vedi, Vici - I came, I saw, I conquered - words
attributed to Julius Caesar.
liebe dich - I love you in German
- Amicus curiae is a legal Latin
phrase, literally translated as "friend of the court".
- RSVP - Please reply (Answer in French!)
Competition - Funny Meaning to Ordinary Words
Every year the Washington Post asks its readers
to dream up alternative, yet cool meanings for ordinary words. Here are examples:
- Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk
- Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.
- Giraffiti (n): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
- Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you
are running late.
- Caterpallor (n.): The colour you turn after finding half a grub in the fruit you're eating.
- See more funny examples
- Poultry in motion: A chicken crossing the road
- Acupuncture: A jab well done.
- If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine.
- When she saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.
- Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead the dough basis.
- See more clever wise words
Please send us your cool foreign words
If you like this page then please share it with your friends
See more funny English words and phrases
Oxymoron examples •
Funny Words •
Cool foreign words •
Illogical English •
Funny children's names •
Examples of collective nouns •
Animal collective nouns •
A funny word •
Grammar mistakes •
Word jokes •
Funny English words